Now at ACS
What is the Gavel Gap?
For the first time, researchers have gathered data on the race and gender demographics of state court judges in all 50 states. The numbers are troubling. To learn more, visit www.gavelgap.org.
- A new ACS Issue Brief by Professor Margo Schlanger of the University of Michigan Law School argues that the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) provides a promising avenue for challenging solitary confinement when used for individuals with mental disabilities.
- Skewed Justice, sponsored by ACS and authored by Joanna Shepherd and Michael S. Kang, Professors of Law at Emory University, shows the growing relationship between money and state supreme court decisions on criminal cases.
ACS in the News
- ACS Board member Adam Winkler wrote an op-ed in The Washington Post titled, “The right to bear arms has mostly been for white people.”
- ACS Board member Erwin Chemerinsky, Board of Academic Advisors member Mark Tushnet and ACS contributor Steve Sanders are quoted in a Washington Post article on the political involvement of Supreme Court justices.
- Gregory P. Magarian, co-faculty advisor of the ACS Student Chapter at Washington University School of Law, wrote an op-ed published in the Columbia Daily Tribune titled, “Senate puts politics above Constitution.”