April 2, 2019
How Trump is Reshaping the Courts
Begin: President, American Constitution Society
Update 4/3/2019: The Senate majority passed a major rule change that will speed up the process of confirming President Trump's judge picks for the lower courts.
President Trump and the Senate majority are reshaping the federal courts by nominating extremely conservative judges and confirming them at a breakneck speed. The 115th Congress saw record-breaking movement on judicial nominations, and we're seeing more of the same in the 116th Congress. As of mid-March, 20 percent of judges currently sitting on the circuit courts have been nominated by President Trump. ACS President Caroline Fredrickson explains the urgent need to defend our constitutional values and protect the judiciary from conservative takeover.
Learn more about how the federal judiciary is changing under President Trump:
- Visit our On the Bench page for the latest updates on judicial nominations, including pending votes on Eric Miller, Neomi Rao, and other President Trump nominees for the federal bench.
- Read the latest from ACSblog and publications on judicial nominations.
- Judicial Nominations Map – See judicial vacancies in the circuit and appeals courts.
- Changing Circuit Court Composition – See how many judges have been appointed by Republican and Democratic presidents.
- Judicial Nominations: A Broken Process – Learn how Senate Republicans have broken the process for nominating judges to help confirm a record number of President Trump’s judicial nominees.