February 13, 2019
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm, Pacific Time
ACS Sacramento: Founding Meeting
Please join the Sacramento Lawyer Chapter of the American Constitution Society for this very important Steering Committee meeting. At this meeting, we will:
- Take a vote on the ratification of a chapter constitution. The proposed constitution will probably look like the sample one provided by ACS (click here to see that sample). The Constitution is ratified by a two-thirds vote of the Steering Committee and approval by the ACS Executive Director. See Article VII, Section 1 of the sample Constitution.
- Appoint a Board of Directors. Under Article IV, Section 4(c) of the sample Constitution, the Steering Committee may appoint the inaugural Board of Directors.
Available positions on the Board of Directors include:
- President. The President shall serve as Chair of the Board of Directors and shall preside at all meetings of the Directors. The President shall be responsible for communicating with the national ACS office on a regular basis, making funding requests, and submitting other information needed by the national ACS office, including the identification of and contact information for Chapter members and the Board of Directors. The President shall coordinate the Advisory Board.
- Executive Vice President. The Executive Vice President shall, in the event of the absence or inability of the President to exercise her/his office, become acting President of the Chapter with all the rights, privileges, and powers as if s/he had been the duly elected President. The Executive Vice President shall be responsible for, directly or by appointing another Director, keeping the minutes and records of the Chapter. The Executive Vice President shall assist the President with making funding requests to the national ACS office. The Executive Vice President shall administer the solicitation and confirmation of nominees to serve on the Board of Directors.
- Vice President for Programming. The Vice President for Programming will be primarily responsible for organizing and executing ACS Sacramento Lawyer Chapter programs and events. The Vice President for Programming will work in coordination with the Board of Directors to develop an agenda of programs. The Vice President for Programming will receive assistance and support from other Directors and, as appropriate, from members of the ACS Sacramento Lawyer Chapter who are not Directors in organizing and executing programs.
- Vice President for Communications. The Vice President for Communications will be responsible for communicating with Chapter members and publicizing Chapter programs and events. The Vice President for Communications will be responsible for disseminating information to the media about developments and projects that will bring positive change to the law. The Vice President for Communications will also coordinate with the ACS national office’s communications staff to raise awareness of the ACS Sacramento Lawyer Chapter’s projects and of legal developments in Florida.
- Vice President for Diversity. The Vice President for Diversity will lead efforts to promote diversity within the Chapter’s membership and to identify other organizations in the Sacramento area with which the Chapter can co-sponsor events and programs.
- Vice President for Membership. The Vice President for Membership will be responsible for maintaining a spreadsheet of Chapter members and attendees at Chapter events. The Vice President for Membership will lead efforts to increase the membership of the ACS Sacramento Lawyer Chapter. Finally, the Vice President for Membership will be responsible for submitting applications for Chapter programs to be approved for Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credit.
- Directors-at-Large. Any Directors-at-Large will participate in the work of the Board of Directors and will assist individual Directors as needed in the performance of their duties.