September 27, 2018
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm, Eastern Time
ACS Kentucky: First Things First - Applying The First Amendment in the Trump Era
Please join the Kentucky Lawyer Chapter and the University of Louisville Louis D. Brandeis School of Law Student Chapter of the American Constitution Society, the Louisville Chapter of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, and the ACLU of Kentucky for a debate on a variety of First Amendment topics. The debate will cover several pending federal and state court cases, legislation relating to religious liberty, and whether real issues like the following are violations of the First Amendment or the Kentucky Constitution:
- A cross-shaped World War I memorial maintained by the State of Maryland
- A coach’s public prayer following a sporting event
- Legislation allowing scholarship tax credits
- A requirement that “In God We Trust” be prominently displayed in every public school
- A t-shirt printer's refusal to print a shirt in support of Pride Day
P. Andrew Torrez, Co-Host of the podcast Opening Arguments
Justin Walker, Assistant Professor of Law, University of Louisville Louis D. Brandeis School of Law
Kate Miller, Advocacy Director, ACLU of Kentucky
A complimentary pizza buffet will open at 5:30. The debate will begin promptly at 6:30.
1 hour of Kentucky CLE credit is pending for this program.