October 16, 2019
12:00 pm - 1:30 pm, Pacific Time
ACS Bay Area: 2019 Term U.S. Supreme Court Preview
Join the ACS Bay Area Lawyer Chapter, the Bar Association of San Francisco Appellate Section, the Northern California Chapter of the Federalist Society, and the Northern California Chapter of the Federal Bar Association for a discussion with experts on the upcoming Supreme Court term.
This year, the Court will decide blockbuster cases including:
• Does federal employment law protect gay, lesbian, and transgender employees from discrimination?
• Does the Constitution require unanimous jury verdicts for criminal convictions?
• Can President Trump revoke DACA?
• Does a New York law that makes transporting guns illegal violate the Second Amendment?
• Can the federal government refuse to pay Obamacare insurer subsidies?
• And other headline-grabbing cases, likely including: President Trump's unilateral revision of asylum laws, state laws restricting access to abortion, decisions affecting rights of religious entities, and many more.
Hon. Vince Chhabria, District Judge, United States District Court for the Northern District of California
Bernadette Meyler, Carla and Sheila Spaeth Professor of Law and Associate Dean for Research and Intellectual Life, Stanford Law School
Joseph Tartakovsky, Senior Associate, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLLP; Former Deputy Solicitor General of Nevada
Ben Feuer, Chairman, California Appellate Law Group; Co-Chair, Bar Association of San Francisco Appellate Section
1.5 hours of CLE (Legal Specialization credit in Appellate Law) are approved for this event. CLE registration will occur before the event, from 11:30 a.m. -12:00 p.m.
Wednesday, October 16, 2019
12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. PT
BASF Conference Center
301 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111