ACS Member News: January 2024
- ACS Board of Directors Chair Roscoe Jones was named Dean of Drake University Law School.
- ACS Board of Advisors Member Adam Winkler appeared on NPR’s All This Considered for a segment on “New California law restricts carrying guns in public. For now.”; and on PBS NewsHour for a segment on “2024 brings new gun restrictions in several states”; and was quoted in “Battle over California’s ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines shows a nation divided” in The Los Angeles Times; and in “Wayne LaPierre: the man who remade the NRA as the ‘good guy with a gun’” in The Guardian.
- ACS Board of Academic Advisors Member Erwin Chemerinsky was quoted in “Cenk Uygur Fights the Natural-Born Citizen Restriction” in The American Prospect; and in “Democrats begged SCOTUS to intervene on homelessness. Could it backfire?” in The San Francisco Chronicle.
- ACS Board of Academic Advisors Member Stephen Vladeck was quoted in “Far Right Appeals Court Rules Against Fed Protections for Emergency Abortions” in Truthout; and in “Texas blocks feds from Rio Grande park in new escalation at border” in The Washington Post.
- ACS Next Generation Leader Paulina Kennedy was named the National Trial Lawyers’ Association Top 40 under 40 Plaintiff’s Lawyer in Michigan.
- ACS Thomas R. Kline School of Law of Duquesne University Faculty Advisor Bruce Ledewitz authored “Freedom, democracy are here to stay — reflections on politics in 2024” in TribLive; and “Living Constitutionalism and the Faith of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.” in Hallowed Secularism.
- ACS Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law Faculty Advisor Kate Shaw appeared on NPR’s Here and Now for a segment on “Carbon capture projects in Louisiana spark pushback from activists.”
- ACS Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law Faculty Advisor Leo Yu authored “From Criminalizing China to Criminalizing the Chinese” in the Columbia Human Rights Law Review.
- Georgia Lawyer Chapter Leader Matthew Weiss was promoted to Partner at Parker Hudson Rainer & Dobbs.
- Chicago Lawyer Chapter Leader Juan Thomas was named a recipient of the 2024 Spirit of Excellence Award from the American Bar Association Commission on Racial & Ethnic Diversity in the Profession.
Got news? Send it to Ekrawczyk@acslaw.org