Trump will eventually answer questions from Special Counsel Robert Mueller in the Russia probe. What is unclear is when, what topics and what format the interview will take. At this point, the negotiations are ongoing.
In the meantime, evidence mounts regarding obstruction of justice and contacts with Russia, with two people indicted, two pleading guilty, and numerous public misstatements so far. And the list of key questions grows longer:
- Mr. President: Why did you fire former FBI Director James Comey?
- Mr. President: Did you ask former FBI Director Comey to drop an investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn?
- Mr. President: Why did you dismiss General Michael Flynn, former National Security Adviser?
- Mr. President: Have you asked lawmakers leading congressional investigations into election interference by Russia to curtail their inquiries?
- Mr. President: What role did you play in crafting Donald Trump, Jr.’s misleading public statement regarding his meeting with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya?
- Mr. President: Did Donald Trump Jr. or anyone else who attended the June 2016 meeting with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya at Trump Tower tell you about that meeting on that day and if so when and what did they communicate to you?
- Mr. President: In late December 2016 did you authorize Michael Flynn to communicate with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak about U.S. sanctions on Russia? What do you remember about any conversations you had in that time frame regarding Flynn contacts with Russian officials?
- Mr. President: Did Donald Trump Jr. inform you about contacts he received from Wikileaks representatives during the 2016 campaign and if so when and what did he communicate to you about this?
- Mr. President: Did you instruct your campaign advisors to modify the Republican platform provisions regarding Ukraine?
- Mr. President: In your meeting with campaign national security advisors on March 31, 2016, what do you recall about any discussion of a proposal to arrange a meeting between you and Vladimir Putin?
- Mr. President: Regarding the information your campaign advisor George Papadopoulos reportedly received in April 2016 that Russia had “dirt” on Hillary Clinton in the form of emails, did anyone share that tip with you and if so when?
- Mr. President: Does The Trump Organization have any business relationships with Treasury’s newly released list of senior foreign political figures and oligarchs in the Russian Federation, as determined by their closeness to the Russian regime and net worth?
- Mr. President: Why are you personally interviewing certain nominees for US Attorney? Are you requesting loyalty pledges from interim US Attorneys?
- Mr. President: Do you see any conflicts in interviewing nominee for US Attorney districts that include Trump properties?