ACS Vice President of Development
The American Constitution Society (ACS) seeks a dynamic, collaborative, and driven fundraising professional to serve as Vice President of Development. Working in tandem with the President and the senior management team, the VP has a unique opportunity to lead ambitious goals around expansion of resources and membership for the nation’s leading progressive legal organization. As a senior leader, s/he also works directly with department heads and the Board of Directors to advance the organization's development goals.
The VP will be a gifted professional with an exceptional track record in grant and major gift fundraising, as well as in staff leadership, coaching, and management.
THE ORGANIZATION AND MISSION
ACS is committed to realizing the promises of the Constitution by building and leading a progressive and diverse legal community dedicated to advancing and defending democracy, equality, liberty, access to justice, and the rule of law. Founded in 2001 in response to the Supreme Court’s Bush v. Gore decision, ACS is one of the nation’s leading progressive legal organizations, with over 200 student and lawyer chapters in almost every state and on most law campuses.
The ACS network of lawyers, law students, judges, scholars, and many others provide a source of ideas, innovation, energy, and talent for the progressive legal community. Through its public programs (over 1,400 debates, conferences, and press briefings across America each year), publications, and active online presence, ACS generates intellectual capital for ready use by its allies and shapes debates on key legal and public policy issues including access to courts, voting, equality, immigration, workers’ rights, and many others. ACS nurtures the next generation of progressive lawyers, judges, policy experts, legislators, and academics by providing opportunities for networking, mentoring, and organizing around matters of both local and national significance.
Strategic Planning, Leadership and Management
- Articulate a clear vision for the development team.
- Strong commitment to and record of advancing diversity. Recruit and retain a diverse team and develop a culture in which everyone feels valued and supported.
- Promote a respectful workplace that values staff, encourages teamwork, and supports inclusiveness and transparency in decision-making.
- Bring visible energy and enthusiasm to ACS’s work environment.
Membership, Fundraising, and External Relations
- Grow the organization’s resources through innovative, dynamic fundraising strategies, effective communications, and team building.
- Lead efforts to engage and cultivate current and prospective ACS members as well as foundation, corporate, and individual donors to increase contributed revenue.
- Maximize the Board’s fundraising activities and develop their individual and collective fundraising prowess.
- Actively manage a portfolio of principal and major gift prospects and meet performance expectations. Travel for donor/prospect visits.
- Build out a more robust major donor/high net-worth individual cultivation and engagement process.
- Develop a substantive grassroots digital fundraising plan to enhance member cultivation and retention. Options for execution include hiring a vendor to assist with ongoing strategy and maintenance.
- Build and manage a portfolio of individual and institutional prospects.
- Report regular progress against strategic and operational goals, including donor engagement and stewardship touchpoints, revenue targets, and pipeline management details.
- Collaborate with the Communications team on all development-related marketing and communications.
- Develop and help execute opportunities to use existing and new ACS events as fundraising vehicles.
Annual Giving and Digital Engagement Strategy
- Implement a data-driven annual giving solicitation system; employ and monitor proactive strategies to increase performance metrics such as average gift size, donor retention, acquisition, and upgrades, and return on investment.
- Work with Communications team to develop a digital marketing engagement strategy addressing messaging, vehicles, and timing to effectively target annual giving audiences and increase success of solicitations.
Candidates should possess at least eight years of successful fundraising with increasing responsibility. Desired qualities and background include:
- Impressive record of accomplishment in fundraising and leading successful fundraising programs.
- Experience with financial forecasting, budgeting, strategic planning, and working with senior leaders.
- Politically savvy; experience building and expanding relationships with many constituencies, both internal and external.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills. Ability to address challenges with grace, wisdom, and presence.
- Collaborative, approachable and accessible with high EQ to foster the growth of a highly productive team. Proven ability to attract, develop, recognize, and retain top talent.
- Possess a command of cultural sensitivity and value and embrace cultural, political, and social differences. The VP will contribute to an environment that encourages diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Strong professional ethics, transparency, integrity, and accountability in all actions.
Bachelor's degree required; Advanced degree preferred.
A comprehensive, competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered to the successful candidate.
Please submit applications to email@example.com with "VP of Development" in the subject line.