The American Constitution Society (ACS) is the foremost progressive legal organization in the country, with nearly 200 student and lawyer chapters across the country and a nationwide network of lawyers, students, scholars, judges, advocates, and elected officials. ACS’s mission is to support and advocate for laws and legal systems that strengthen our democratic legitimacy, uphold the rule of law, and redress the founding failures of our Constitution and enduring inequities in our laws in pursuit of realized equality. ACS is a 501(c)3 non-profit, non-partisan legal organization.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Press Secretary and Senior Writer will manage all media relations and will be responsible for writing or coordinating all written materials intended for the media and in preparation for engagement with the media. This is an exciting opportunity to join an organization at the forefront of diversifying the federal bench, advocating for Supreme Court reform, and shaping the debate on pressing legal challenges confronting our country.
This job is remote with the option to work from ACS’s office in Washington, DC. There is a preference for candidates living in the DC area or who have established DC media contacts. Minimal travel may be required.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and execute strategic plans for promoting ACS staff and experts, especially the ACS President, policy priorities, and programs to the media.
- Work with the communications team and other departments to develop and write effective messaging to advance ACS policy priorities to national and state media.
- Serve as the lead writer on all ACS press materials, including press releases, fact sheets, and statements, briefing memos in preparation for interviews, and certain social media content.
- Manage ACS’s relationships with members of the media and cultivate new press contacts who cover ACS’s issues. Pitch ACS experts and story ideas to journalists and editors.
- Coordinate with ACS leadership and department heads on rapid response messaging to breaking news and developments, including advising on when to weigh in on breaking news and when not to.
- Plan and manage press conferences, media calls, and other events to promote ACS campaigns, programs, and products.
- Monitor media calls and fulfill journalist requests for information and be on-call for media requests particularly in emergencies or special circumstances (may include after office hours).
- Manage ACS’s media inbox and other media relations systems involved in communicating with the press, including interactions with outside vendors.
- Coordinate with the digital team as they manage ACS’s web, social media, and blog presence and with the team responsible for managing communications within our chapter networks.
- Track media coverage, provide media reports, and maintain press lists of media contacts.
Strongly preferred qualifications and experience:
- Minimum of three years of experience in media relations, journalism, or public relations.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, with a superior command of English grammar and punctuation. Proven ability to efficiently produce professional written materials to be shared with the press.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop and maintain journalist relationships. Existing media contacts a plus.
- ACS requires COVID-19 vaccination of all employees that perform in-person job duties.
Preferred qualifications and experience:
- Self-starter with experience proactively and consistently engaging reporters without being instructed to do so.
- Experience working on nonprofit legal and policy issues. Campaign and/or advocacy experience a plus, and familiarity with the judiciary a plus.
- Experience managing an organization’s rapid response to breaking news and developments.
- Experience in drafting briefing memos for senior principals in preparation for press interviews.
- Strategic messaging background.
- Experience coordinating messaging and media strategy with multiple departments and a digital team.
- Ability to thrive in a remote, high-performing, and highly collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to organization mission and non-partisan status.
- Non-negotiable salary of $75,000.
- Generous health, vision, dental, life insurance.
- Paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested parties should send a cover letter explaining candidate’s interest and qualifications in the position, resume, and two writing samples to Morgan Washburn at Jobs@acslaw.org. Please include “Press Secretary” in the subject line. We will review all submissions and reach out to those candidates who best match our needs. No calls please.
ACS values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. ACS encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.