American Constitution Society, Washington, DC
ACS seeks an energetic, detailed, and adaptable Director of Strategic Engagement to help lead the organization’s work on judicial nominations, interactions with judges and legislators in ACS’s network, and to assist in cultivating new opportunities for engagement around the courts. This position reports to the Vice President of Strategic Engagement.
The Director of Strategic Engagement will:
- Serve as a leader on judicial nominations, building and cultivating relationships in the executive, legislative and judicial branches at the federal and state level, as well as with partner organizations, to further ACS's work on judicial nominations and related issues;
- Liaise with practicing attorneys who are part of ACS’s national network of lawyers to arrange events, conference calls, briefings, and media outreach related to judges and judicial nominations;
- Oversee the maintenance of documentation on judicial nominations, including internal materials;
- Oversee the maintenance and improvement of the organization’s website judicialnominations.org to ensure it contains the most current information;
- Oversee communications for internal and external audiences, such as Op-Eds, Letters to the Editor, emails, talking points, and briefing documents, and work closely with the Department of Communications to disseminate information through judicialnominations.org and other outlets;
- Collaborate with the Network Advancement and Policy and Programming staff members to help develop local and national public events that demonstrate why courts matter;
- Stay abreast of all ACS initiatives and identify opportunities to build audience for ACS materials and expertise;
- Supervise the Assistant Director of Strategic Engagement who assists with the department’s work on judicial nominations; and
- Assist in managing the Strategic Engagement Fellow, who assists with all of the needs of the department.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS The ideal candidate will possess many of the following qualifications and personal attributes:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a variety of audiences, internally and externally;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with high profile individuals with discretion;
- Excellent writing skills across a variety of contexts;
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail;
- The ability to manage multiple projects at once and change direction as needed;
- Sense of humor;
- Self-motivation with ability to work independently while recognizing role on a dynamic team;
- Knowledge of current legal and public policy issues;
- Some travel for meetings and events is required;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, including Excel;
- JD required
Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
ACS values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. ACS encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter, resume, and short (no more than 10 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org (Attention: Office Manager).