Assistant Director of Strategic Engagement
American Constitution Society, Washington, D.C.
ACS seeks an energetic, detailed, and adaptable Assistant Director of Strategic Engagement to support to the organization’s work on judicial nominations and why courts matter, assist in cultivating new opportunities for engagement around the courts, and contribute to the overall work of the organization. This position reports to the Director of Strategic Engagement. This is an entry-level role.
The Assistant Director of Strategic Engagement will:
- Assist in building relationships in the legislative and judicial branches, as well as partner organizations, to further ACS's work on judicial nominations and related issues;
- Attend Senate Judiciary Committee hearings and Executive Business Meetings;
- Liaise with practicing attorneys who are part of ACS’s national network of lawyers to arrange events, conference calls, briefings, and media outreach;
- Maintain updated documentation on judicial nominations, including internal materials;
- Oversee the maintenance and improvement of the organization’s website judicialnominations.org to ensure it is up-to-date;
- Draft communications for internal and external audiences, such as Op-Eds, Letters to the Editor, emails, talking points, and briefing documents, and work closely with the Department of Communications to disseminate information through judicialnominations.org and other outlets;
- Collaborate with the Network Advancement and Policy and Programming staff members to help develop local and national public events that demonstrate why courts matter;
- Stay abreast of all ACS initiatives and identify opportunities to build audience for ACS materials and expertise; and
- Provide continuous support to the Strategic Engagement staff members as needed.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS The ideal candidate will possess many of the following qualifications and personal attributes:
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail;
- Demonstrated ability to absorb complex information and translate it to diverse audiences;
- Experience tracking various moving parts of a project and completing work that meets high expectations for quality;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with high profile individuals with discretion;
- Sense of humor;
- Self-motivation with ability to work independently while recognizing role on a dynamic team;
- Knowledge of current legal and public policy issues;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, including Excel;
- InDesign experience;
- JD preferred, Bachelor’s Degree with two years relevant work experience required; and
- Salary will be commensurate with experience. The position offers a comprehensive benefits package.
ACS values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. ACS encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter. Resume, and brief writing sample (no more than 5 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org (Attention: Office Manager).