The project information is listed below:
- Please arrive within 15 minutes prior to allow for registration;
- Please park and assemble by the Marina Office.
Contact Name: Mary Kate Smith
Contact Number at Park: 305-665-5475
--The group will be assigned to an environmental project based on the group size for that day, activities not fully determined yet, but could include some of the following:
- Assisting in cleaning up trash/debris around the park as needed such as through the mangrove walking trail, the bike path, the atoll pool area, the sea wall and marina area. This will include rocks and water areas that have access; removing palm fronds, raking out sand area, raking leaves, cleaning out BBQ pits and other similar type work.
ACS at FIU Group Contact will be:
Nicole @ 407-244-6395
Parks Department will provide the following:
- Tools and equipment that will be used
- Group introductory speech on importance of helping out your parks and the environment
- Trash bags for the group pick up
Group Participants will provide the following:
- Volunteers to participate in event
- Garden/work gloves and plastic bags
- Water, Gatorade or other beverages that group would like to bring
Please advise participants of the following:
- Protective Gear Needed--must wear closed toe shoes. (please make sure they can get wet)
- Comfortable clothes--long pants if possible; they should allow the volunteer to bend, kneel, sit, walk, and similar movement in the heat. Wear cool materials if possible.
Medical Conditions—the participant should advise the park staff of any medical needs that they might have while at the park volunteering.
Other--they should take sunscreen and hats in order to protect them from the sun because their might not be any shade while working, and should not wear heavy perfumes or colognes due to attracting bugs; refillable water bottles; and working gloves (you never know what you will be picking up in the debris)
Gloves are very important while doing this type of clean up project. It is strongly suggested that the participants remember to bring their own work/yard gloves.
If there is any additional information you require, please feel free to contact us anytime. Thanks again for choosing your county parks!
Angie Gomez, Volunteer Coordinator
MDPR - Business Development, Fundraising and Advocacy
Phone: (305) 961-2781